2017 About us …
In our industry we need a lot of heat whether this is from gas for our enamellers’ and silversmiths’ torches or electricity, for their furnaces. Heating is energy intensive and if we can find a way of storing enough energy efficiently and effectively for our daily needs, we will.
The easy choices that we have made to date are as follows:
- We purchase all our electricity from a 100% renewable source (since 2017)
- In 2019 we replaced our oil-fired heating boilers with gas. (alas we couldn’t find an alternative to gas)
- We have replaced most of our incandescent and fluorescent lights with LEDs which has brought a significant reduction in our energy consumption. However it is not easy for us to determine whether this offers a nett benefit to the environment – as the material complexity of LEDs compared to incandescent bulbs, require more energy to manufacture and appear to be more difficult to recycle. One particular advantage of LED strip lights however, is that they come on instantly, making them ideal for use with movement sensors in areas that are rarely accessed.
- We aim to manufacture all our items in our UK factories, and where possible source parts and materials locally.
- Over 70% of our company vehicles are fully electric or hybrid, including our company van. We are finding the running and maintenance costs of these are significantly lower than our fossil fuel equivalents. (A no brainer, once you do the sums). A joy to drive too.
- We are accredited to ISO14001 Environmental standard, which hopefully keeps us thinking..
Eco? We are always open to any ideas.